Porter'S Here!

Photo Card
View the entire collection of cards.

Friday, May 15

What I "Unthink" of KFC


Okay, so most of you probably heard of or used the free KFC grilled chicken coupon. I happened to actually see the Oprah show the last 10 minutes when she announced the giveaway. So I got online and downloaded 3 coupons (most was 4 per household). I gave one to Bob to use for his lunch the next day, trying to make redemption for my not making him a lunch in several weeks. He used it and got his meal free and clear no problem. So I wait for a chance that I can go with him to get my free meal. We finally ventured out last night and I was so excited to just get a meal for free, a little reward for my recent coupon savings and money savvyness ( I don't really know how to spell that right). Plus, I really needed to get out of the house.
So we get there and on the door there's a sign, that says "Due to the overwhelming demand for Kentucky Grilled Chicken meal, we're unable to offer it to you today...Please fill out a form, attach your coupon, and we'll send you a coupon for a free meal at a later date, plus a free Pepsi with our compliments."
Okaaay...I'm a little bummed. But we're already there. Might as well eat anyways.
I go up to the register to get the form and to order a meal, and this is how the conversation goes.
me: "I'd like the 2 piece chicken meal with..."
rude kfc kid: "We're out of grilled."
me: "Yeah, that's ok. I'll get..."
kfc kid: "We're also out of original right now."
me: "Yeah, ok that's fine cause I want the crispy."
kfc kid: "Well we're out of cripsy and original."
me (somewhat frustrated and snappy, and I have never ever snapped at service people before):
"What DO you have?! You're saying I can't have original, cripsy, or grilled now!"
kfc kid: "Right now we just have grilled, but it will take a few minutes."
me exasperated: "fine! that's what I'll have then!"
So why is it that I couldn't redeem my coupon for grilled chicken when that's all they had to offer me?Bob and I just started cracking up and the insaneness of the whole thing. And as far as sending my coupon in for a rain check, I know it's just a ploy to take back their offer. I will probably never get my rain check, and I'm sure KFC is hoping I'll forget about the whole thing.
So KFC's "Unthink" campaign worked. Whatever good things I used to think about KFC, I'm "Unthinking" now.

2 comments:

JMadd said...

I've never been a fan of KFC, but after all that I've heard about this free grilled chicken offer, I'm even more unimpressed. Who do they think they are making offers and then not being able to pay out? For heaven's sake, if it's going to be on Oprah, you know people are going to flock to KFC. They should've stocked up like crazy on that stuff. I would go back every day until they had some for me.

The Davis Family said...

That is SO funny. That reminds me of one night when I went with Sis. Williams up to Topsham for Stake choir practice. It was like 9:00/9:30pm and we stopped at the drive through. She asked for the popcorn chicken- They didn't have that... then she asked for a chicken sandwhich- they didn't have that... she asked for something else and they didn't have that. Sis. W's actually looked around to make sure we were at KFC. She asked "am I at KFC?". It was really funny. We went next door to McDonald's so she could get a chicken sandwhich. HA!