Porter'S Here!

Photo Card
View the entire collection of cards.

Tuesday, August 11

Homemade Laundry Detergent

We tried this a few weeks ago, I just never got around to posting it, but Bob wanted to show how he made some homemade laundry detergent. He got it off some survival blog he likes to read. The basic recipe is:
1 Quart boiling water
1 1/2 bars of grated soap (He used Fels-Naptha. You can also use Ivory or other varities.)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda

Add the grated bar soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. Pour soap water into a large clean pail and add Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well (the picture shows Bob using his paint stirrer on his drill) until it is all dissolved. Add 2 gallons of water and stir well again. Then we used empty laundry containers to store the detergent in.

We tried it on a few loads and it does the job. It's not super great, and I think we need to add a little extra washing soda and borax cause we have hard water. But, it calculates to only a penny a load! We'll see, it may be worth it. I think I still prefer my Tide, but at least it was fun to try it out!

2 comments:

The Egbert Family said...

Looks like some serious stuff to brew.

Katie said...

ooooh, I'm going to post this on mygoodfriendsblog!