Porter'S Here!

Photo Card
View the entire collection of cards.

Friday, February 6

To Use the Wipes, or Not to Use the Wipes? That is the Question...


Last winter I was sick all the time. I got strep throat 4 times in 3 months, enough that the doctor recommended me to see a throat specialist who told me I should have my tonsils removed (which is a whole other story). I haven't done it yet cause 1)pregnant and 2)scared to death of that operation! Mostly the healing process.
Anyways, this winter I've been really paranoid about getting it again like last year. So I've been trying to take every precaution necessary without going extreme, cause I'm not an extreme person. Basically I wash my hands ALL THE TIME. Sometimes after I wash my hands I use that Purell jell stuff, especially before I eat my lunch when I go to work at the school. And I don't know if this is by chance or luck, but every time I go to Walmart or the grocery store, I use those Sanitation Wipes they leave out by the door. If they don't have any, I carry some in my purse to use and I just wipe down the handle on the cart. I get a lot of funny looks, and sometimes people get irritated at me because they have to go around my cart, but I seriously think it has made a big difference. I haven't gotten sick once (knock on wood) this winter except for a minor cold. I can handle colds, I just didn't want strep. Last year I didn't use the same precaution and every time I went to the local grocery store, I would end up with strep throat that week. And every time I'd go in to the doctors to get the antibiotic, they would always say "strep has been going around here".
So to use the wipes or to not use the wipes? I don't know, but I think it made a difference for me!

2 comments:

JMadd said...

If you find that using wipes helps, then keep doing it. The one thing I keep hearing though, is that the anti-bacterial soaps and wipes and stuff we use are actually making the bugs more resistant. I am always getting sinus infections, so one of the things my doctor recommended was taking probiotics. You can get it at the health food store in capsules or else eat yogurt at least once a day. You can also get milk and other things with acidophilus (sp?) in it. That helped me a lot. I haven't taken any antibiotics since the fall - whic is amazing for me since I pretty much get a sinus infection every 6-8 weeks.

Katie said...

After reading your post-I'm a believer!